With your Amazon Kindle Fire you can install the latest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich as well. As you know that Kindle Fire by Amazon is the bestselling Android tablet according to the number of devices sold till now. In this article we will go through procedure on how you can update your Kindle Fire with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
The below steps are primarily essential to make you proceed with the firmware update -
- To get Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich on your tablet, you should have first rooted your Kindle Fire tablet earlier and installed TWRP 2.0. If you have done that then it’s pretty easy for you to get ICS on your tablet.
- Please make sure that you have more than 80 % battery left on your device. Its recommended that you proceed with the update once you have fully charged your tablet to avoid the battery calibration.
- This process will certainly need your phone to accept USB debugging. Please enable it by going through Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.
- You need to take a backup of various things on your tablet, make use of the following -
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log -Call Log and Restore,
Songs, Videos & Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down manually via “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”.
- Also another pre requisite is that the users should have TWRP installed on their Kindle Fire tablet.
Assuming that everything is followed, proceed with the firmware update.
Disclaimer : Neither we nor the developer should held responsible. Users should understand the risk and proceed with the update. This article is with 100 % correct procedure.
Procedure to Update Kindle Fire Android 4.0 ROM
Follow the below mentioned procedure on how you can update the Kindle Fire with the latest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system –
- You need to download the Android 4.0 Kindle Fire upgrade package.
- The downloaded package will have the tryforsdupdate.zip, Superuser-3.07-efghi-signed.zip, tryforsdupdate.zip and EOS_GApps_ics_4.0.3_v10.4.zip. The first file contains the CyanogenMod 9 and the required files for the update and the latter file is for installing the various Google services like Google Apps and Google Play Store.
- Once those files are downloaded, you need to copy them as it is on the root of the SD card on the Kindle Fire storage. This can be done by connecting Kindle Fire to USB cable and drag and drop the files. Alternatively to avoid these, download them on your Kindle Fire directly.
- Once that is done, remove the USB cable, power off your Kindle Fire so that you can boot in TWRP.
- Now press the power button and as you see a yellow triangle with Fire icon at the center, hold the power button until it turns into orange and latter within 20 seconds it will automatically boot in TWRP mode. If you can’t get that, you have to FireFireFire bootloader and TWRP 2.0 recovery installed.
- We will be on both side of the river, so its better to have a backup of your Kindle Fire tablet. Tap on the backup.
- Now select the items that you want to backup. You should include system, data, and boot.
- A progress meter will be seen and it means that the process is going on.
- When the process of backup is complete, tap the option main menu to return back to home screen.
- The next step is to wipe the data on your tablet and to do that you need to tap on the Wipe option.
- Now tap on the Factory Reset option.
- Once the data is wiped out, tap on the back button to return to the previous screen. From this menu you can tap on home icon to return to home. Now will we go through actual step to install Android 4.0.
- Tap on the Install button on your home screen and navigate to the root of your sd card and choose tryforsdupdate.zip.
- Now tap on the option ‘Flash’ to begin the flashing process.
- Wait for the flashing to be completed and it will take maximum of 15 minutes. When it’s done, tap on the ‘Reboot System’ to boot your Kindle Fire in altogether a new design and overlay. Here in turn if you wish to install other files such as Google Apps, you need to go back by selecting Main Menu and then select tryforsdupdate.zip.
- Once that is done tap on ‘Reboot System’ to boot your tablet.
That complete the procedure of Android 4.0 update on your Amazon Kindle Fire. You can check out for the Android version in the About Tablet via Settings to confirm ICS update. Do let us know how do you feel with this update on your Kindle Fire tablet!