After Galaxy S II been pushed away with Android 4.0.3 upgrade gradually to various countries. Now it’s the turn of Google Nexus S to go ahead with the upgrade to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. It has been 4 months since the Ice Cream Sandwich was first spotted on Galaxy Nexus but since then Google was unable to provide upgrade to their handsets as well. But it looks like that there will be more devices coming out with Android 4.0 Upgrade in March and April and one among them is Google Nexus. Here in this article we will go through the Android 4.0.3 upgrade on the Google Nexus S phone.
Pre Upgrade Instructions
The following are the sets of pre upgrade instructions which you should follow before proceeding with the firmware upgrade –
- Make sure that your device is only Google Nexus S only and not any variant of Google phone.
- Charge your Google Nexus S to full charging and then proceed with the update.
- Please make sure that you enable USB debugging on your phone. Go to Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging and check it out.
- Finally it’s important that you backup most of the things on your phone. Make use of the following –
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Songs, Videos & Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down manually via “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”.
Assuming that you have gone through the above steps, we will now proceed with the actual update procedure.
Upgrade Nexus S to Android 4.0.3 Procedure
Follow the below mentioned procedure to upgrade your Google Nexus S phone with the latest Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich –
- First you need to download the Android 4.0.3 ROM for Google Nexus S phone.
- Once you have done that you need to rename the downloaded file as update.zip.
- Connect your phone using the USB cable and then move the update.zip file which you have renamed it earlier to the root of your SD card. Don’t place it at the extreme inner folders.
- Power off your Google Nexus S phone as in order to boot in the recovery mode.
- To boot your Google Nexus S phone in the recovery mode, you need to tap on the volume up and power button simultaneously for certain seconds and wait for the recovery menu to load.
- Among the various options you need to select ‘apply update from sdcard’. To scroll up and down in the recovery menu you need to make use of the volume rockers keys and to select an option you need to press the power button.
- One you select the ‘apply update from Sdcard’ you need to navigate to update.zip file location.
- Once you select that file, it will take some amount of time to apply the upgrade package to your device.
- Once it finishes it will be automatically show the recovery menu again. This time you need to select the option ‘reboot system now’.
- Now your device is ready and it will boot in Android 4.0.3 operating system. You can see the changes but it takes a little while as its boots for the first time in the new OS.
If you encounter any issues during this upgrade then please us know via comments. Do let us know if you face any issues during the process of this update.