One of the best and well known mobile device that is the HTC Desire HD has received an Android ICS ROM for itself today. Thanks to the XDA Developer “QD2DC” who has developed the ROM, the ROM has been dubbed as the Blackout ICS XL ROM. The ROM is based on the Android ICS 4.0.3 ROM for HTC Sensation XL, and it includes the Sense 3.6 overlay. Though the ROM is still under development and there can be a few bugs on the ROM.
Note: This is an non-official update that has been released by some developer and the official company isn’t the creator of the ROM, there can be a few bugs on the ROM as it hasn’t been released by the company. Warranty of the mobile phone will be voided upon the flashing of the ROM, but it can be retained using the STOCK FIRMWARE.
Information about the ROM
- Android Version: 4.0.3 (IceCream Sandwich)
- Based on: Sensation XL 2.12 (No Resizing Needed!)
- Sense Version: 3.6
- 2G/3G/HSPDA Data! – Only DHD Tested! Need Inpire 4G/Telus user Feedback/Help
- Proximity sensor
- Audio (no beats audio)
- Phone calls/Sms/Mms
- Video playback
- Keys/Key lights
- USB Mount – Used 3rd party app for now
- GPU Acceleration (2D rendering UI)
- More things…
Warning for Beginners:
Note: This is an non official update and has to be applied to the Mobile phone using the Recovery Tool. The steps which are included in this guide are very risky and can even brick off your mobile phone. Unless you are aware with Custom ROMS, Firmwares and ODIN, don’t even try these things on your mobile phone.
Pre-Requisites to Install Android ICS 4.0.3 ROM on HTC Desire HD
- The instructions are working for HTC Desire HD, Originally manufactured.
- Backup all of your SMS Messages using SMS Backup Application.
- Sync all of your Contacts with the Gmail Application.
- Copy all of your notes manually to somewhere else, as if in case your mobile phone gets bricked these notes will be deleted from the mobile phone.
- Take a backup of call logs, APN Settings, and other important things.
- Charge your mobile phone so that it would be having more than 60% battery.
- Now, enable USB Debugging Mode in your mobile phone (Settings > Applications >Development > USB Debugging).
- HTC Device Drivers installed in your computer.
- Rooted device with CWM Recovery installed.
- Follow all steps carefully in order to get 100% assured success.
How to Install Android ICS 4.0.3 ROM on HTC Desire HD
Disclaimer: We have written each and every step clearly in order to make the update applied successfully but if any wrong step is taken then your device can brick, remember Neither me nor thedroidnation.com is held responsible in case your device gets bricked. Proceed at your own risk, and always make sure that you’ve checked all essential pre-requisites.
- Download the ROM from official dev thread.
- Transfer the file to the root of your SD Card.
- Turn off your mobile phone, boot into CWM Recovery now. To do so, press and hold Volume Down + Power Button.
- Perform a wipe on your device. Select “Mounts and Storage” >> “Format System” Confirm on the next screen.
- Now, “Format Data” and “Format Cache” and confirm both.
- Go To “advanced” >> “wipe dalvik cache” and confirm the same.
- Now select “Install zip from sdcard” >>> “choose zip from sdcard“, now select the file which you had transferred earlier on the device.
- Confirm the installation, and wait till the completion.
- Now, Go back and select “reboot system now”.
That’s it, you’ve successfully installed the Android ICS 4.0.3 ROM on your HTC Desire HD.