The HTC One series of smartphone has certainly put the head up for HTC Corporation after back to back quarter losses for them. Apart from HTC One X, One S too is a high end smartphone. Not quite long that we spotted HTC One S smartphone and as usual with out stuff here comes the custom ROM for One S smartphone. For all those users who love the Sony Bravia Engine the Onyx firmware is here and over the period of this article we will go through firmware upgrade for One S smartphone and this is based of the Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich OS.
Before we proceed with the firmware upgrade I need to mention that your HTC One S should be installed with Custom Recovery image and it also should be rooted.
Features of Onyx ROM
The following are the features of the Onyx ROM –
- Updates to HTC Sense 4.0 UI
- Android 4.0.3 is the Android version
- Root pre installed
- Optimized for fluid performance and usability
- Enable unlock carousel effect
- Enable cubic transition effect
- Fixed Google Play
- Added new Kernel
- Added Mobile Bravia Engine
Pre Upgrade Instructions
Please make sure that you have gone through the following pre upgrade instructions –
- Make sure that this update is only for the users who own HTC One S and no other variant of it. It should be rooted and have installed Custom Recovery image.
- Please make sure that you have more than 70 % battery life left on your phone so that you don’t run out of the battery life in the middle of the firmware upgrade.
- You need to take the backup of all the data on your phone as this would be lost after this firmware upgrade and so you can make use of the following applications –
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Songs, Videos & Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down manually via “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”.
- Make sure that you need to have USB Debugging installed on your Galaxy S phone. Follow the path Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” and you should tick the USB debugging option.
Disclaimer : Since this is a custom ROM, users should understand that they are proceeding with this update on their own risk. Neither developer nor we would be held responsible.
HTC One S with Onyx ROM Upgrade Procedure
Follow the instructions below to upgrade One S with Onyx firmware –
- Download the Onyx firmware on to your computer.
- Connect your phone to the PC and then place the zip file on to the root of your SD card.
- Disconnect the phone connection and turn it off so that you can enter it in the recovery mode i.e., via boot loader mode.
- One S smartphone can be entered in to boot loader mode by pressing the volume down key, OK button and then holding those you need to press the power button. Try again if your phone boots in normal mode.
- In the boot loader mode you need to select the option of ‘recovery’ so that you can enter in the recovery mode.
- In the recovery mode you need to select the option of ‘install zip from SD card’ and then select ‘Choose zip from SD card’ and select the Onyx custom ROM firmware package present on your device.
- After selecting the package you need to wait for around 5 minutes to apply the zip file to One S.
- Now select ‘++++ Go Back ++++’ and then reboot system now to reboot your phone.
With that you have installed the Onyx firmware on your device.