Motorola devices are awaiting the big update of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and Motorola seems to delay the launch of these products. Whether official updates comes or not users can update with the custom ROM and the here comes one such in the form of Android 4.0.4 on your phone to the Motorola Defy smartphone.
Here in this article we will go through the procedure on how you can install the Android 4.0.4 on your Defy Plus smartphone. Let me mention you that this version of the firmware is not the officially released by Motorola and this is a custom developed ROM and to apply this update you need to have your devices rooted on the current firmware which you are on.
It has been continuous discussion on what works or not, let me tell you that this firmware just has the issues with the stock browser crashes while you switch between the tabs and remaining everything like camera, theme, multi boot works perfectly on your device.
Pre Upgrade Instructions
You should go through the following pre upgrade instructions –
Before we proceed with the steps to install the the custom Android ICS ROM follow the pre upgrade instructions here -
- Make sure that this update is only for the users who own Motorola Defy Plus smartphone but not any other version.
- Make sure that your smartphone is rooted.
- Please make sure that you have more than 70 % battery life left on your phone.
- Need to take a backup of various applications and files on your device, follow the below guide to back them individually –
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Songs, Videos & Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down manually via “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”.
- Make sure that you need to have USB Debugging installed on your device. Go to Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” and you should tick the USB debugging option.
Disclaimer : Since this is a custom firmware, users should understand that they are proceeding with this update on their own risk. Neither developer nor we would be held responsible for anything happens to your device but we ensure that everything works fine.
Update Motorola Defy+ with ICS 4.0.4 Firmware Procedure
- First you need to download the latest ICS for the Motorola Defy + and also the Google Apps package separately as well and both of them are separate files.
- Once the download of the files are completed on your PC, you need to connect your phone using the USB cable to the PC and then place these two files on the root of your SD card.
- Disconnect the USB connection and power off your smartphone, so that you can boot in the recovery mode.
- One can easily enter Motorola Defy + smartphone in the recovery mode by using the various keys combination of Volume down, power button together at once. Release button when you see the recovery menu.
- Up next you need to select “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” and browse for the firmware package you have downloaded earlier. Here in the recovery mode you can make use of the volume up and down keys to navigate between the options and to select an highlighted option you need to press the power button.
- Once that is applied you would be taken back to the recovery mode screen.
- Now repeat the procedure of “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” for the Google Apps package.
- Now return back to the recovery menu screen and select “reboot system now” to reboot your device and see the phone with the firmware.
With that procedure you have updated your Motorola Defy + with the custom based Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware until the official arrives.