AOKP ROM is the most active and the known custom ROMs based of generally Ice Cream Sandwich for many phones. Recently they have update Motorola Droid 2 with a new custom ROM and here in this article we will go through the firmware upgrade process for the Motorola Droid 2.
Pre Upgrade Instructions
You should go through the following pre upgrade instructions –
- Its very important that you should have ClockWorkMod Recovery installed on your phone. If you don’t have it then please do it by the way which you know.
- Please make sure that your phone is Motorola Droid 2 and not any other variants it.
- With this update all the data on your phone will be lost. Make use of the following Android applications –
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Songs, Videos & Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down manually via “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”.
- Atleast you should have 60 % battery left on your mobile phone, this is to avoid the battery calibration.
- You need to enable USB debugging in your phone. It can be enabled using the ‘Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging’.
Assuming that you are done with the above measures of precautions we are now ready to upgrade your phone.
Upgrade Instructions for Droid 2 flashing with AOKP ROM
You should make sure that you have followed the following instructions –
- First, you need to flash your CM9 ROM on your Droid 2 and the instructions are mentioned here.
- Now download the AOKP ROM for Droid 2.
- You also need to download additional stuff like Google Apps Package for Android Market, Gmail.
- Connect your Droid 2 mobile phone with PC using the help of USB cable.
- Transfer all the downloaded files to the root of your SD card on the phone.
- Turn of your Droid 2 phone in order to boot it in Clockworkmod recovery. To get Droid 2 smartphone in the recovery mode, you need to press the Volume down button and then the power button for about 10 seconds together.
- First you need to perform the Nandroid backup of your existing ROM. So you need to select Backup and Restore and then select Backup. Go back to the recovery menu when the backup is completed. You can make use of the Volume buttons to move up and down and power button to select an option in the clockworkmod recovery.
- Now you need to select install zip from SD card and then select choose zip from sd card. Now you need to navigate to the files where the zip file is located. The ROM will start flashing by itself.
- Once the ROM is flashes, you need to select go back in order to return to the main recovery menu.
- Once again select Install zip from SD card and this time select the Google Apps Package. However this step is optional.
- After the installation is done, select go back and then select the option reboot system now and reboot the phone.
- It will take a while to reboot in normal mode, if doesn’t respond for 2 to 3 minutes, remove the battery and reinsert it.
- That’s it you will be able to see the AOKP ROM on your Droid 2 smartphone.
That’s it. This complete the installation of AOKP ROM build 28 on your Motorola Droid 2 smartphone.