As you all know that Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich OS brings a lot of customization and user interface changes on your phone, Samsung Galaxy Gio is left out with Android 4.0 update just like Samsung Galaxy S. Don’t worry here comes the Cyanogen Mod 9 based Android 4.0 ICS for Galaxy Gio S5660 smartphone.
The Cyanogen Mod 9 Beta 7 version was released last year but it has so many serious bugs but this time this bugs have been fixed and it comes with serious improvements with Samsung Galaxy Gio.
Pre Upgrade Instructions
Follow the pre upgrade instructions below -
- Note that you proceed with this phone with your model number as Samsung Gio S5660 only.
- Please make sure that you have a minimum of 70 % battery life left on your phone. This is to ensure that you have sufficient battery during the process of the rooting.
- It’s quite important to backup most of the things on your phone. Make use of the following utilities –
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Songs, Videos & Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down manually via “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone follow the path of Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging and you would be able to enable it.
- All the antivirus or the firewall should be disable for certain period of time. Close any Samsung KIES instances as well.
Disclaimer : Neither we or the developer of this ROM should be held responsible if anything happens to your mobile phone if you proceed with this firmware upgrade. We have ensured that everything should go fine with update if you follow the procedure correctly.
Procedure to Update Galaxy GIO with ICS Beta 7 Cyanogen Mod 9
- You first need to download the CM9 firmware package for Samsung Galaxy Gio.
- No turn off your device so that we can enter it in recovery mode.
- The recovery mode on the Galaxy Gio can be entered by holding the menu button, power button for some time.You can make use of the following video for recovery mode –
- In the recovery menu you need to select the option “Wipe Data/Factory reset” and then select “Wipe Cache Partition” and that will clear cache from your device.
- Now you need to select “Install zip from SD card” and then select “choose zip from SD card” and then select the ICS CM9 package which you have download earlier.
- If you are facing force close errors then once again you need to enter your phone in the recovery mode and then finally do the wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition and then select “++++ GO Back ++++” and select “reboot system now” which will restart your Galaxy Gio.
Do let us know if you are facing any issues during the update with this on your Samsung Galaxy Gio.