The Samsung Galaxy S II GT I9100 is a hit model from Samsung Electronics and its one of the best but users who have by mistakenly purchased Galaxy S II without seeing the model number might latter learn that they have got GT I9100G is the model number and this is available in India only. There is not much difference in both the models but the difference comes in where the firmware are.
Here comes the Cyanogen Mod 9 based firmware for your Samsung Galaxy S II GT I9100G smartphone and in the due course of article we would go through the custom ROM firmware upgrade procedure with a simple guide. Let us tell you that this is not the official firmware release by Samsung or Google and this is a trusted custom ROM developed by known Cyanogen Mod team.
Pre Upgrade Instructions
Before we proceed you should go through the following firmware upgrade procedure –
- While you install this firmware on your phone, there are most chances that the data on your internal memory is lost or gets corrupted and its recommended to take the backup. There are lot many ways available to backup of your device but best thing is to do it manually to SMS, contacts and call logs using the various apps, check them here -
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Songs, Videos & Files – Copy it some where
APN and MMS Settings – Note down manually
- Make sure that this update is only for the users who own Samsung Galaxy S II GT I9100G smartphone but not any other version of it. Check the model version in About phone under Settings.
- Please make sure that you have more than 60 % battery life left on your phone.
- Make sure that you need to have USB Debugging installed on your Galaxy Ace S5830 phone. The path to perform this operation is Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” and you should tick the USB debugging option.
While you are done with these instructions you would proceed with the upgrade, follow it here.
Update Galaxy S II with CM 9 Firmware
- First you need to download the ClockWorkMod Recovery 184.108.40.206 and Heimdall Suite Package to your PC. Once downloaded you need to turn off your device so that you can enter it in download mode.
- You can enter your Galaxy S 2 GT I9100G in download mode by pressing the key combinations of Volume down key, OK button and also the power button together. You might see something usually different than normal booting of your phone. Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable.You can make use of the following video for download mode –
- Now run the Zadig.exe file inside the folder of Heimdall Suite and from the drop down menu select Samsung USB Composite Device or Gadget Serial. Now select Install drivers.
- Untar codeworkx’s kernel into the Heimdall directory and in the command prompt you need to enter heimdall flash –kernel zImage.
- You would see that a blue transfer line would be appearing in the command prompt means that kernel is being transferred and the phone would reboot automatically.
- With that Clock Work Mod has been successfully installed on your device.
- Download Cyanogen Mod 9 Firmware package on your computer and once download unzip the same on to the PC.
- Disconnect your phone so that you can enter it in recovery mode and power it off as well.
- Recovery mode on your Galaxy S II GT I9100G can be entered by following the keys combination of Volume up key, Home key and the power button.You can make use of the following video for recovery mode –
- In the recovery mode you need to select “Wipe data/Factory Reset” and then “Wipe Cache partition” it will clear the cache.
- Then select “install zip from SD card” and then select “Choose zip from SD card” to select the Cyanogen Mod 9 package.
- No go back and select “++++Go Back ++++” to return to the main menu and then select Reboot system now option.
Congrats you have successfully installed the Cyanogen Mod 9 firmware package on your Samsung Galaxy S II GT I9100G smartphone. Do let us know if you face any issues during the upgrade procedure.