The Stock ROM provided officially by Samsung for the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket is good with Samsung’s TouchWiz interface and it will look more good with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich on it.
In this article we will update the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket smartphone on AT & T with the NexusMod custom ROM which brings the flavor of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich which would liked by all. This firmware is based on the UCALC4 firmware and dubbed as the NexusMod ICS ROM and this is not an officially release by Samsung. Though this is in beta 3 stage, 90 % of the functions are working with this firmware.
Pre Upgrade Instructions
Make sure that you have gone through the following pre upgrade instructions on your Galaxy S 2 Skyrocket handset –
- Your phone should be Galaxy S 2 Skyrocket by AT & T only and its should be no other model by Samsung or AT & T.
- Your phone should be on UCALC4 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware, if you are not then please install it or avoid this. To check for the version of Android follow the path of Menu > Settings > About Phone and check the built number.
- You also to install Clockwork Mod Touch recovery on your phone as well.
- Please make sure that you have a minimum of 70 % battery life left on your phone. This is to ensure that you don’t run out of battery during the upgrade procedure.
- You need to backup your existing ROM but we will be doing it with the ClockworkMod Recovery which is explained in the procedure below.
- You should enable USB debugging on your phone. To enable USB debugging on your phone follow the path of Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging and you would be able to enable it.
- All the antivirus or the firewall should be disable for certain period of time.
Disclaimer : Neither we nor the developer should be held responsible for this firmware. We have ensured that everything is working fine.
Assuming that you have gone through pre upgrade instructions, its now time to install the lovely NexusMod ROM on your phone.
Install Procedure of NexusMod ROM on Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Follow the procedure mentioned below to go through the process update –
- First download the NexusMod ICS Custom ROM.
- Connect your Galaxy S 2 Skyrocket using the USB cable to the PC.
- Transfer the zip file which you have downloaded above to the internal SD card on your phone.
- Turn of your phone as you need to enter into the CWM Touch recovery mode. To go through the recovery mode on Galaxy S 2 Skyrocket, you need to press the volume up button, volume down button and the power button. Phone will reboot into clock work mod Touch Recovery within few seconds and finally release the buttons.
- Its always better to perform a backup of your ROM, so you can do it by selecting the option of Nandroid Backup and you can restore it any time when you are strucked. To do a backup, select backup and restore and then select backup.
- In the next step you need to come back to main menu and select the option wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on the screen to confirm and do this action twice if required. Finally select Wipe Cache option as well.
- You also need to clear the Wipe Dalvik Cache by going through the advanced option in the recovery menu.
- Now select Mount and storage and then select format system, select Yes to format the system partition. Do it twice.
- Select Install zip from SD card and then select choose zip from sd card and navigate to Rom file as downloaded earlier in the step 1.
- Confirm the action and the phone will be starting the procedure of flashing it.
- When the installation is done, select go back and then select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
The NexusMod custom ROM is now installed on your Galaxy S 2 smartphone.