Samsung Galaxy S 2 is the flagship model by Samsung Electronics and the last month it received the Android 4.0.3 update and the users are more than happy to see their smartphone running on the Ice Cream Sandwich operating system. Here comes the Android 4.0.3 for Galaxy S2 smartphone based of the XWLP7 firmware which is primarily aimed for the Russia but it can be flashed by users around the world as described by the developer of it.
This firmware guide is only compatible with Samsung Galaxy S 2 smartphone with model number as GT I9100 but not with any of the other smartphones like or any other variant like Epic 4G Touch, Galaxy S2 on T-Mobile, Galaxy S 2 Skyrocket and they should stay away from such updates. For details of the model number, go through Settings > About phone and check the model number on your phone.
If you are ready for the upgrade then please go through the following pre upgrade instructions.
Pre Upgrade Instructions
- Note that you proceed with this phone with your model number as Galaxy S 2 GT I9100 and other variant of it.
- Please make sure that you have a minimum of 70 % battery life left on your phone. This is to ensure that you have sufficient battery during the process of the rooting.
- It’s quite important to backup most of the things on your phone. Make use of the following utilities –
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Songs, Videos & Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down manually via “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”.
- You should enable USB debugging on your phone. To enable USB debugging on your phone follow the path of Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging and you would be able to enable it.
- All the antivirus or the firewall should be disable for certain period of time. Close any Samsung KIES instances as well.
Disclaimer : Neither we or the developer of this ROM should be held responsible if anything happens to your mobile phone if you proceed with this firmware upgrade. We have ensured that everything should go fine with update.
Now we will head to the firmware upgrade procedure.
Install XWLP7 based Android 4.0 on Galaxy S2 GT I9100
Follow the procedure mentioned below to complete the installation of XWLP7 firmware –
- Download the XWLP7 firmware package on your phone.
- Extract the downloaded zip file and you will get I9100XWLP7_I9100OXELP7_SER.zip file and you will get I9100XWLP7_I9100OXELP7_I9100XXLPS_HOME.tar.md5 and SS_DL.dll files.
- On the other side you also need to have the Odin flashing tool on your computer installed as well. Download it Odin 3 v 1.83 now.
- Turn off your phone as you should enter it in download mode.
- Once can enter Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone in download mode using the three button combination of Volume down, Centre button and the power button press together for few seconds. When you see droid symbol release all the three buttons. You will see the warning and then press the Volume Up button.You can make use of the following video for download mode –
- Open the Odin3 tool.
- Connect your phone now to the PC using the USB cable and as soon as you connect you will see the ID : COM port turns yellow in the Odin tool. Also you will see the Added in the message box.
- Now click on the PDA button and then select I9100XWLP7_I9100OXELP7_I9100XXLPS_HOME.tar.md5 among the options obtained.
- Select F Reset and Auto Reboot options.
- When you are ready hit the START button to start flashing XWLP7 firmware.
- When the flashing is finished your phone will be automatically restarts and you will see the PASS on the left most box in the Odin.
With that you have now installed the XWLP7 Ice Cream Sandwich on your phone.