Samsung Galaxy S III is the hardest selling Android smart phone in the world and its comes with default Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich pre installed on it. Actually the Android version is 4.0.3 and recently this has received Android 4.0.4 updates dubbed as XXALF2. This has been released officially in United Kingdom and this is a part of the official release by Samsung.
This updates can be applied to any of the Samsung Galaxy S III phone in the world and here we go through the updates of same in the article alongside with the procedure to you.
Pre Upgrade Instructions
Follow the instructions mentioned here –
- Make sure that your device is only Samsung Galaxy S III GT I9300 and not other variant of it. You can check for the phone version by going through Settings > About Phone.
- Charge your Galaxy S III to minimum of 70 % charging and then proceed with the update.
- Please make sure that you enable USB debugging on your phone. Go to Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging and check the same.
- Also make sure that you have taken backup of the various required things.This apps might help -
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Songs, Videos & Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down manually via “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”.
Update Galaxy S3 GT I9300 with XXALF2 Firmware Procedure
Follow the below mentioned procedure –
- You need to download the XXALF2 Firmware package and the Odin tool to your PC and when the download is completed you need to extract the same on to your PC.
- Now you need to open the Odin tool on your PC and select F Reset and Auto Reboot option.
- Once that is done, turn off your phone so that you can enter it in download mode.
- One can easily enter Samsung Galaxy S III in download mode by pressing the three keys combination of Volume down button, center button and the power button.You can make use of the following video for download mode –
- Connect your phone in the download mode while keeping the Odin tool opened.
- Once you connect your would see that ID:COM port turns Yellow which means that drivers have been installed successfully.
- Now tap on PDA tab and select the tar file from the downloaded zip file.
- Once that is done you need to tap on “Start” to begin with the firmware upgrade.
- The device will reboot and the firmware would be applied.
Do let us know via comments what do you feel about this on your Samsung Galaxy S III.