The Samsung Galaxy S III is the king of the entire smart phone not only in the range of Android but overall handsets on any OS. When it comes to Android, custom firmware are really like hot cakes that everyone like to try on their devices and for Samsung Galaxy S III Verizon owners there are lot much mixture add to the Milestone 6 Android 4.0 ICS firmware custom ROM.
The Milestone 6 is a custom firmware designed by beanstown106 and this ROM is full with various add-ons and options which are not include officially in Galaxy S III. The good thing about this custom ROM is that it doesn’t come with any bloatware ands custom OEM themes. In the due course of article we will see on how you can update your device with Milestone 6 based custom firmware for your device.
Features of Milestone 6 Firmware
It includes the following features on Galaxy S III –
- 180 Degree rotation
- CM Launcher or Power Button
- Custom Color
- Battery Icon/ Color Picker: CircleMod, Bar, Text Only, Icon Only, Icon+Text or None
- Battery Bar in Status Bar or Nav Bar, Bar Thickness, Charging animation
- Toggles in Pull Down Menu: Auto rotate, Bluetooth, GPS, Wi-Fi, Aiplane mode, Vibrate, Silent, Sync, Data, 4G, Tethering, Torch, Brightness
- Menu Button Visibility: Always show, Always show Invisible Icons
- Volume Key to Skip Tracks
- Volume Key to Wake Screen
- Unlock Screen with Legacy Menu Icon
- ICS ringtones/notification sounds
- Long press home for recent apps (thanks bruce key)
- Disable CRT off animation
- Keyboard: Volume keys act as a cursor while typing — disable in keyboard options
- Lot more!
Before going through the upgrade instructions, we will go through the Compulsory required steps before updating, check them out here.
Mandatory Pre Upgrade Instructions
- While going through this update on your phone, everything on your phone will be lost including the contacts, data, SMS, call logs and you need to back them up at some place using the resources that you do earlier. Or else make use of the following-
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Songs, Videos & Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down manually.
- Make sure that you device is charged to a minimum of 40 % battery life although 100 % charge status will give good results.
- Up next is that you should enable USB debugging on to your device. One can enable then by going through “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” and check whether USB Debugging option is selected or not.
So once you have followed these, we will see the upgrade procedure. Proceed to check the same.
- First download the Milestone 6 Firmware package and the Google Apps Package on to your phone.
- Once these files are downloaded you need to place them on to your phone by connecting through the USB cable to the PC. You need to place it on the root of your SD card not much deep in folders.
- Turn off your Galaxy S III so that you can enter it in recovery mode. One can easily enter Galaxy S III in recovery mode by pressing the key combination of Volume up key, center button and the power button together all at once.
- In the recovery menu you need to select the option of “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” one by one using the volume rocker keys and press the power button to make selection to the highlighted option. Now browse through the Milestone 6 AOKP Firmware package and the Google Apps Package one by one to apply.
- It will take 5 minutes to apply the updates.
- Once those are done, you need to hit “Go Back” and in the recovery menu you need to select the option of “Reboot system now” for rebooting you device in the normal mode.
With that you have applied the desired firmware.