There are less updates of Samsung Galaxy S PLUS I9001 when compared to Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000. As promised earlier Galaxy S received the value pack just a week ago and today it’s the turn of Galaxy S Plus GT I9001 to come out with Value Pack addition. The update version is dubbed as XXKQB firmware and this is only for the owners of Samsung Galaxy S Plus GT I9001.
You will be interested to find out the features included in this upgrade are the face unlock, huge RAM of 364 MB, ICS lock screen, photo editor, built in touch wiz 4, improved camera user interface, overall speed improvements as well, GPU performance increases as well and overall auto rotation improvements.
Pre Upgrade Instructions
Follow the pre upgrade instructions here –
- Make sure that this update is only for the users who own Samsung Galaxy S Plus GT I9001 smartphone but not any other like Galaxy GT 9000b or Galaxy S Plus GT I90001.
- Please make sure that you have more than 60 % battery life left on your phone.
- You need to take the backup of all the data on your phone as this would be lost after this firmware upgrade and so you can make use of the following applications –
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Songs, Videos & Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down manually via “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”.
- Make sure that your phone has atleast 60 % battery left on your mobile phone.
- You need to have USB Debugging installed on your Galaxy S Plus phone. Follow the path Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” and you should tick the USB debugging option.
- Irrespective of the firmware which you are ON, you need to ensure you have rooted with the earlier version that you have.
Disclaimer : Since this is a custom ROM, users should understand that they are proceeding with this update on their own risk. Neither developer nor we would be held responsible.
Procedure to Update Samsung Galaxy S Plus Android 2.3
Follow the procedure mentioned here very carefully –
- First, download the Value Pack for Gingerbread 2.3.6 to your PC. Once downloaded extract the same on your computer.
- From the extracted files open the Odin, which is the flashing tool and on the other side you need to enter your phone in the download mode and so please turn it off.
- To enter Galaxy S Plus in download mode, you need to press the volume down key, center button and holding them both together you need press the power button after which you will see a green robot showing the downloading text written on it. Release the buttons as you see that.You can make use of the following video for download mode –
- Now connect your phone using the USB cable, the confirmation of successful connection is done at the Odin tool where ID : COM port box will be yellow.
- Once that is done, in the Options box you need to select F Reset Time and Auto Reboot.
- Now select the PDA tab and then navigate to the files where you have downloaded the value pack. Select I9001XXKQB_I9001OXXKP8_I9001XXKPL_HOME.tar.md5 file in the place of PDA.
- Once that is done, your phone would be restarted automatically. Turn the phone off again as you need to go through recovery mode.
- Galaxy S Plus can be entered in to recovery mode by pressing the volume up button, centre key and the power button together for sometime. Once you see the recovery menu, release the buttons.You can make use of the following video for recovery mode –
- In the recovery menu, you need to select Wipe data/factory reset and then select Wipe Cache partition and finally select reboot device now. You can make use of the volume rocker keys to move for different selections and make use of power button to select the highlighted option.
- That’s it.
With the above process you have updated your Galaxy S Plus GT I9001 smartphone with XXKQB Firmware on Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Do let us know how you feel with the new firmware and also let us know how much value does this makes on your phone?