Samsung Galaxy S is an old device but new and new roms are coming for the device every other day. The XDA user named “nasif619″ has ported the Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 ROM to Samsung Galaxy S. The ROM was officially leaked for the Nexus S 4G but now it can be ported to the Samsung Galaxy S i9000. The ROM will bring faster performance, better battery life, camera and many more things. Almost everything is working and the ROM is perfect daily driver. Read on to find out the process to flash your device.
Features of the ROM
(Quoted from the developer thread at XDA)
- Very Fast System
- Zoom on camera
- init.d Support
- Touch to focus
- Voodoo Colour
- Themed APP
- Tweaks in Build.prop
- Best battery life [NO Android OS BUG]
- WiFi Tethering
- HD 720p Video recording
Warning for Beginners:
Note: This is an updating process that is applicable for the device named Samsung Galaxy S and has to be applied to the mobile phone using the recovery mode. The steps which are included in this guide are very risky and can even brick off your mobile phone is done in wrong way. Unless and until you aren’t aware with Custom ROMS, Firmwares and ODIN, don’t even try these things on your mobile phone.
Pre-Requisites to Install Android 4.0.4 on Samsung Galaxy S
- The instructions are working for Samsung Galaxy S, i9000 Originally manufactured.
- Backup all of your SMS Messages using SMS Backup Application.
- Sync all of your Contacts with the Gmail Application.
- Copy all of your notes manually to somewhere else, as if in case your mobile phone gets bricked these notes will be deleted from the mobile phone.
- Take a backup of call logs, APN Settings, and other important things.
- Charge your mobile phone so that it would be having more than 60% battery.
- Now, enable USB Debugging Mode in your mobile phone (Settings > Applications >Development > USB Debugging).
- Samsung Device drivers installed in your computer.
- Your Battery should be 100% charged.
- Follow all steps carefully in order to get 100% assured success.
Install Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich on Samsung Galaxy S
Note: We have written each and every step clearly in order to make the update applied successfully but if any wrong step is taken then Neither me nor thedroidnation.com will be held responsible in case your device gets bricked.
- Update your device to the XXJVU Firmware and Root the device.
- Download the Android 4.0.4 ROM from the official development thread.
- Transfer the file to the root of your SD Card.
- Turn off your Galaxy S and boot into CWM Recovery mode, CWM Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S can be accessed by pressing and holding Volume UP + Home Button + Power Button. The device will start. Use Volume UP and Volume Down keys to operate the CWM Recovery mode.
- Now, select “Wipe data/factory reset” >> “Yes”.
- Now, select “Install zip from sdcard” >> “Choose zip from sdcard” >> Select the file which we had transferred earlier.
- The Installation process will now start and soon the ROM will be completely installed on your device.
- Now “Go Back” and select “reboot system now“.
That’s it, you’ve successfully installed Android ICS 4.0.4 ROM on Your Samsung Galaxy S i9000.