Samsung Galaxy S is receiving so many Custom ROM’s For itself from various developers out there, Some stable versions for the Samsung Galaxy S are AOKP ROM, Asnet UI ROM, and the ICS Gamerz ROM. The developer named “krarvind” has developed the SlimICS ROM for Galaxy S, the specialty of this ROM is that it’s very light weight i.e. only 73.2 MB in size. The developer has removed the unusable applications from the ROM in order to make it light weight and simple that’s the reason why it’s called SlimICS.
Take a look at the features, issues and the removed applications below, the content is quoted from the development thread at XDA.
Built from AOSP 4.0.3 sources, with device folder and kernel from Team Hacksung
- 5 Languages ( en ( us, uk), fr, it, de, es)
- Zeam Launcher ( stock ICS launcher provided in addon package)
- Basic Google Stuff Included ( 4.0.4 Gmail,Talk, Calendar and Contacts sync)
- Market 3.4.4
- Team Hacksung Kernel ( for now, flash any 4.0.3 kernel of your choice)
- Easy to customize.
- 182 DPI ( use 240 for any incompatible apps or check here for market workaround)
- Front and Back Camera/Video
- 2G/3G Toggle
- USB Tethering
- Phone Call , they do need to work don’t they
- Wifi Tethering?
- You tell me
Note: This is an non-official update that has been released by some developer and Samsung isn’t the creator of the ROM. So, the warranty will be voided if you install this firmware, but it can be retained using the STOCK FIRMWARE.
Warning for Beginners:
Note: This is an non official update and has to be applied to the Mobile phone using the recovery mode. The steps which are included in this guide are very risky and can even brick off your mobile phone. Unless you are aware with Custom ROMS, Firmwares and ODIN, don’t even try these things on your mobile phone.
Pre-Requisites to Install SlimICS ROM on Galaxy S
- The instructions are working for Samsung Galaxy S, Originally manufactured.
- Backup all of your SMS Messages using SMS Backup Application.
- Sync all of your Contacts with the Gmail Application.
- Copy all of your notes manually to somewhere else, as if in case your mobile phone gets bricked these notes will be deleted from the mobile phone.
- Take a backup of call logs, APN Settings, and other important things.
- Charge your mobile phone so that it would be having more than 60% battery.
- Now, enable USB Debugging Mode in your mobile phone (Settings > Applications >Development > USB Debugging).
- Samsung Device Drivers installed in your computer.
- Rooted device with CWM Recovery Installed.
- Follow all steps carefully in order to get 100% assured success.
How to Install SlimICS ROM on Galaxy S
Note: We have written each and every step clearly in order to make the update applied successfully but if any wrong step is taken then Neither me nor thedroidnation.com will be held responsible in case your device gets bricked.
- Download SlimICS ROM and Removed Apps Package to your computer and transfer both the files to the root of your SD Card.
- Turn off your mobile phone. So that it can be started in the Recovery mode. To access Recovery Press and Hold Volume UP + Home + Power until the mobile phone starts up.
- Now, Perform a full wipe, select “Wipe data/factory reset” and confirm by selection “Yes“. Select “Wipe Cache Partition” and confirm by selecting “yes“.
- Go back again and select “Advanced” choose “Wipe dalvik cache“, and Select Yes.
- From the main screen select “install zip from sdcard” > “choose zip from sdcard“. Select the file which we had transferred earlier on the device.
- Repeat the same procedure to flash the Google Apps package, and your device will be flashed with SlimICS ROM.
That’s it, You’ve successfully installed Android ICS 4.0.3 SlimICS ROM on your device.