The Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich has officially arrived last month for various regions around the world with XWLP7 and XWLP8 firmware’s. We know that the developers are constantly working to come up with rooting of those firmware’s as quick as they approaches.
Here in this article we will go through the procedure on how you can root your Samsung Galaxy S II on the XWLP7 firmware and this procedure will also work out for the phones based on the ZWLP8 too. With this rooting tutorial dubbed as CF Root Kernel one can easily install ClockWorkMod recovery on the device.
Read the instructions carefully mentioned below to flash your Galaxy S II smartphone on the XWLP7 and XWLP8 firmwares. But before that you need to follow the pre upgrade instructions mentioned here.
Pre Upgrade Instructions
Follow the below mentioned pre upgrade instructions -
- The primary requirement is that your handset should be Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone should be on the the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich based XWLP7 or XWLP8 firmware. You can check out the Android version on your phone by going through Menu > Settings > About Phone.
- Please make sure that you have a minimum of 70 % battery life left on your phone. This is to ensure that you don’t run out of battery during the upgrade procedure.
- You need to backup your existing ROM but we will be doing it with the ClockworkMod Recovery which is explained in the procedure below.
- You should enable USB debugging on your phone. To enable USB debugging on your phone follow the path of Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging and you would be able to enable it.
- All the antivirus or the firewall should be disable for certain period of time.
Disclaimer : Neither we nor the developer should be held responsible for this firmware. We have ensured that everything is working fine.
We will now proceed to the rooting instructions.
Root & Install CWM Recovery on Galaxy SII XWLP7 and XWLP8
Follow the instructions mentioned here carefully –
- First and the foremost thing, download the CF Root Kernel for Galaxy S II.
- Unzip the files that you have downloaded. You will get a .tar file inside it and other files as well.
- You need to also download the Odin flashing tool on your computer. Download it right now (Odin3 v1.83.exe). Open the Odin tool once the download is finished.
- Switch off your phone as you need to boot your phone in the download mode.
- Samsung Galaxy S II smartphone can be entered into the download mode by selecting the keys combination of the volume down keys, home keys and the power button. You will get the warning, you need to press the volume up button to enter in the download.You can make use of the following video for download mode –
- Now connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- As soon as you connect your phone to the PC, you will see the Added message in the Odin box and ID : COM port will turn yellow.
- Now you need to select the options of the F Reset and Auto Reboot among the options.
- In the Odin tool, click the PDA tab and then select the .tar file as you have downloaded it earlier.
- Don’t touch any buttons and then click on the Start button to flash the CF Root Kernel to root XWLP7 and XWLP8.
- One the phone is flashed, it will automatically reboot by itself and in the Odin tool you will see the PASS written on the top left box, which means that flashing is done correctly and now you can disconnect the phone with safety from the computer.
- You are done now.
With that tutorial you have successfully rooted and install Samsung Galaxy S II smartphone with ClockWorkMod Recovery based on the Android 4.0 ICS with XWLP7 and XWLP8 based firmware. Do let us know about this on your phone.