We have previously gone through the procedure on how you can update your Galaxy S II smartphone with the Android 4.0 XXLPJ and we have also gone through the procedure on Galaxy S II with XXLPQ based Android 4.0, here in this article we will go through the rooting of the Galaxy S II running on Android 4.0 XXLPJ firmware.
This method is only compatible for the users who have update their Galaxy S II phone with the XXLPJ based Android 4.0 ICS pack. To check the model number and your firmware version, you need to visit the About phone page located in the Settings under Menu.
Pre Upgrade Instructions
Please ensure that you have gone through the following essential steps before you go through firmware upgrade –
- Make sure that your devices is only Galaxy S2 GT I9100 and not any other model released by Samsung or any other variant.
- We advised you that you should have more than 80 % battery left on your phone.
- Disable antivirus or firewall on your PC and phone as well. Please make sure of this or else you are asking for trouble close Samsung Kies as well.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone. Follow the path Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging and you would be able to enable it.
- Finally its important that you backup most of the things on your phone. Make use of the following –
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”,
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Songs, Videos & Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down manually via “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”.
Note : Neither we nor the developer should be held responsible for anything happens to your phone if you proceed with this firmware. We have ensured that everything should go safe.
Assuming that you have gone through the above steps we are now ready to proceed with the firmware upgrade.
Root Galaxy S II on Android 4.0 ICS XXLPJ Firmware
Follow the instructions mentioned below -
- First you need to download the CF Root Kernel firmware pack for XXLPJ.
- On the other side you need to also download Odin 3 v.183 flashing tool.
- Extract the content which present on the CF Root kernel package and you should get the CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_LPJ-v5.3-CWM5.tar.
- On the other hand, switch off your Galaxy S II smartphone and install the Odin flashing tool on your PC.
- Once the phone is switched off, you need to get the phone in download mode by holding the volume down button, power button and the home button simultaneously for about 5 to 10 seconds. Release all the three buttons when you see a robot inside a triangle. This video can help you out
- Connect your phone using the USB cable to the PC.
- The correct connection is identified when you see Added message been displayed and the ID : COM ports turns yellow.
- From the Odin3 flashing tool tap on the PDA button and navigate to the files where you have extracted the content and select the CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_LPJ-v5.3-CWM5.tar file.
- Don’t touch any of the Odin’s settings.
- Click on the Start button to proceed with the flashing tool.
- Once the flashing is done, you will see a bright green with Pass message.
- Your phone would be restarted automatically.
- If your phone doesn’t turn on for 2 to 3 minutes, then pull the battery and re insert it after 30 seconds, it should work now.
Congratulations with those you have gained the root access on your Galaxy S II smartphone which is on the XXLPJ firmware.