We have just been about to cover the custom ROM of the Galaxy S smartphone but what about the variants of it? Here we go with the custom firmware of the Samsung Vibrant which is a variant of Samsung Galaxy S Smartphone. This ROM is named as the RMS ROM and its based of the Android 4.0.4 IMM76I custom firmware and this comes with the amazing stock Android experience along with usual performance improvement and enhancements moreover brings the new Android 4.0. Ice Cream Sandwich operating system which is built on the IMM76I.
Features & Enhancements
The following are the features and improvements added to this RMS custom ROM –
- Improved notification bar toggles with logn press to get the Settings Menu
- Numeric battery indicator
- Brightness and status bar notifications
- Power menu is extended with the options of reboot, recovery and screenshot
- Video face effects working very fine
- Kill applications with long press on the back button
- Kernel Glitch
Pre Upgrade Instructions
Please make sure that you go through the following pre upgrade instructions –
- Make sure that this update is only for the users who own Samsung Galaxy Vibrant smartphone only
- Please make sure that you have more than 70 % battery life left on your phone so that you don’t run out of the battery life in the middle of the firmware upgrade.
- Make sure that you have installed the ClockWorkMod recovery on your phone before you proceed with the firmware upgrade.
- You need to take the backup of all the data on your phone as this would be lost after this firmware upgrade and so you can make use of the following applications –
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Songs, Videos & Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down manually via “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”.
- Make sure that you need to have USB Debugging installed on your Galaxy S phone. Follow the path Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” and you should tick the USB debugging option.
Disclaimer : Since this is a custom ROM, users should understand that they are proceeding with this update on their own risk. Neither developer nor we would be held responsible.
Install Android ICS RMS ROM on Samsung Vibrant
Follow the instructions mentioned here to go with the firmware installation –
- Download the latest version of the RMS ROM package to your PC.
- You also need to download the Google Apps package which is options in my sense. Although download it.
- Now connect your phone using the USB cable to the PC and transfer both the downloaded files in step 1 and step 2.
- Once the transfer is done, you need to power off your phone so that you can boot them in clockworkmod recovery and this can be done by holding the Volume Up + Volume down and the power button until you see screen turns on and then release three buttons.
- In the recovery menu you can make use of the volume keys to scroll up and down among the various selections and power key to select the highlighted option.
- Since your on CWM recovery its option step perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM, this ROM will be restored from the recovery when some of the things doesn’t work out for you.
- To perform Nandroid backup you need to select the option of Backup, then select Backup and Restore > Backup and this will backup the existing ROM in quick time.
- Come back to the CWM main menu and then you need to select the option of Wipe Data/Factory Reset, Yes in the next screen to confirm.
- You need to select Install Zip from SD card and then choose zip from SD card. You can confirm installation by selection Yes, Install ….zip file in the next screen.
- The ROM will start installing it.
- Once that is done you again need to follow the choose zip from SD card and then select the Gapps package that you have downloaded earlier in step 2.
- Now go back to the main CWM recovery menu and then select Advanced and follow Fix permissions
- Once that is done, tap on Go Back and select reboot system now to reboot your phone in the RMS ROM.
So with that you have installed the Android 4.0.4 ICS based RMS ROM on your Samsung Vibrant smartphone. Share your thoughts about this ROM.