The myTouch series of mobile phones by T-Mobile are receiving daily updates from developers regarding Custom ROMs, the XDA member named “rajzzz” has developed this Custom ROM. The ROM is based on latest Android Ice Cream Sandwich Firmware for myTouch 4G Slide. The ROM has been named as ICSex v0.1 and is completely AOSP Based ROM that means it’s sense-less and would give you pure Android ICS look to your device. Those who are bored with the Sense UI can give this ROM a try but remember the ROM is still under development and under the beta stage so there can be a few bugs in the ROM.
Let’s read on to know more about the Custom ROM
- Physical Keyboard
- SD Card
- WP/Live WP
- Screenshot Function (Hold down power + volume down for a second or two)
- Resizable Widgets
- Google Services
- Major Graphics Bugs
- Orientation is screwed up
- SD Card not mounting (Mount in CWM or Buy Dual Mount SD from Market)
- On screen keyboard not working
- Camera/Camcorder (Haven’t gotten to it yet)
- Trackpad Wake
- Battery issues (Will get to it soon)
Note: This is an non-official update that has been released by some developer and T-Mobile isn’t the creator of the ROM. So, the warranty will be voided if you install this firmware, but it can be retained using the STOCK FIRMWARE.
Warning for Beginners:
Note: This is an non official update and has to be applied to the Mobile phone using the recovery mode. The steps which are included in this guide are very risky and can even brick off your mobile phone. Unless you are aware with Custom ROMS, Firmwares and ODIN, don’t even try these things on your mobile phone.
Pre-Requisites to Install Android ICS ROM on myTouch 4G Slide
- The instructions are working for T-Mobile myTouch 4G Slide, Originally manufactured.
- Backup all of your SMS Messages using SMS Backup Application.
- Sync all of your Contacts with the Gmail Application.
- Copy all of your notes manually to somewhere else, as if in case your mobile phone gets bricked these notes will be deleted from the mobile phone.
- Take a backup of call logs, APN Settings, and other important things.
- Charge your mobile phone so that it would be having more than 60% battery.
- Now, enable USB Debugging Mode in your mobile phone (Settings > Applications >Development > USB Debugging).
- T-Mobile device drivers installed in your computer.
- Follow all steps carefully in order to get 100% assured success.
- Your device should be rooted and CWM Recovery installed.
How to Install Android ICS ROM on myTouch 4G Slide
Note: We have written each and every step clearly in order to make the update applied successfully but if any wrong step is taken then Neither me nor thedroidnation.com will be held responsible in case your device gets bricked.
- Download the ICSex ROM from the original development thread.
- Transfer the file to the mobile phone and turn off the mobile phone.
- Switch off the mobile phone and reboot into recovery mode.
- Once you’re on the CWM Recovery Screen. Perform a full wipe, select “Wipe data/factory reset” and confirm by selection “Yes“. Select “Wipe Cache” and confirm by selecting “yes“, and after that go to Advanced >> “Wipe Dalvik Cache” and confirm again by selecting “yes“.
- Now, select “install zip from sdcard” > “choose zip from sdcard” then select the ICSex ROM which we had transferred earlier on the device and let the flashing complete, after the flashing is complete “go back” and “reboot system now“.
You’ve successfully installed the ICSex ROM on myTouch 4G Slide.